Tuesday, June 12, 2007

June 12

BIRTHdAYS (and the occasional straights)* 1802 - English feminist Harriet Martineau* 1858 - British artist Henry Scott Tuke* 1892 - Djuna Barnes -- Her poems are believed to be the firstpublished in English directly mentioning lesbianism.* 1901 - Designer Norman Hartnell* 1929 - Writer Brigid Brophy* 1950 - The Right Honourable British Parliamentarian Nicholas "Nick" Brown* 1959 - "Kid in the Hall" (and so much more) Scott ThompsonQ.UOTE"As the friends I once served with head off to 15-month deployments, Iregret I’m not there to lessen their burden and to serve my country. I’mtrained to fight, I speak Arabic and I’m willing to serve. No recruiterneeds to make a persuasive argument to sign me up. I’m ready, and I’mwaiting." - Ousted Arabic translator Stephen Benjamin, who was too gayto prevent terrorism in the Army.

No comments: